"We're Going to Wait Until Spring": Answering the Market-Timing Objection

What to say when a seller wants to wait for a better market, why "spring is better" is usually wrong for them specifically, and how to move the conversation from the calendar to their actual situation.

By the SalesGo team5 min read

"We're going to wait until spring." Or until rates drop. Or until after the election, the holidays, the school year. Market-timing objections all have the same shape: the seller believes there is a better moment coming and wants to hold out for it.

The mistake agents make, and the one SalesGo's coach flags most on this objection, is arguing about the market. You'll never win that argument, because the seller isn't actually making a market prediction. They're expressing nervousness, and "spring" is just where the nervousness landed. Your job is to find out what's underneath it.

First, find out what "wait" means

"That's a really common plan and there's logic to it. Can I ask what you're hoping is different in spring? Is it more buyers, a higher price, or just wanting more time to get the house ready?"

The three answers lead to three very different conversations:

  • More buyers: a market belief. Answer with facts about their specific area.
  • A higher price: a math question. Answer with the cost of waiting.
  • More time: not about the market at all. Answer with a plan.

Most sellers, asked this directly, discover they aren't sure. That's fine. It means the "spring" plan was a placeholder and you can help them make a real one.

If they think spring means more buyers

"It's true there are more buyers in spring. There are also more listings, because every seller has the same idea. So you're competing with three or four houses on the street instead of one. Right now a serious buyer in your area has almost nothing to look at, which is exactly when a well-presented house gets attention. Want me to show you what's actually active near you right now? It's shorter than you'd think."

You are not claiming winter is better in general. You are pointing out that for their house, in their neighborhood, less competition can beat more foot traffic. Then you back it up with the current inventory, which you should have pulled before the appointment.

If they think spring means a higher price

Turn it into arithmetic, gently:

"It might. Nobody knows for sure. But let me put a number on waiting, because it's not free. Six months of the mortgage, taxes and insurance on this place is roughly [X]. If you're moving somewhere you'll be paying rent or a second mortgage, add that. So the spring price would need to be at least [X] higher just to break even, and that's assuming prices don't go the other way. Would you rather bet on a number six months out, or price it right and be done?"

Fill in the real number. Sellers rarely have. When the "wait" costs $15,000 in carrying costs, the imagined spring premium shrinks fast.

If they need more time to get ready

This one isn't an objection, it's a project, and you should treat it that way:

"Totally understandable. What needs to happen before you'd feel good listing? ... Okay. Most of that is a couple of weekends, not a season. What if we made a list right now, put dates on it, and picked a listing date that's realistic instead of picking spring because it's far away? I can help with the vendors."

Sellers who want to wait "to get the house ready" usually have a list in their head that feels enormous and is actually three items. Get it on paper. Put dates on it. The listing date moves from "spring" to "four weeks from now" without you ever arguing about the market.

When waiting is actually right

Sometimes it is. A seller with a genuine reason, like a job that starts in June or a kid finishing the school year, should wait, and you should say so:

"Honestly, in your situation I'd wait too. Here's what I'd do with the time, though: let me come back in [month], we'll price it then with fresh comps, and in the meantime I'll send you a note every few weeks on what's selling near you so there are no surprises. Sound good?"

Telling a seller to wait when waiting is right is the most credible thing you can do. It's also how you become the agent they call when the wait is over, instead of one of the five who call them in March.

Follow-up for the ones who wait

If they're waiting, the win is staying the obvious choice for when they stop:

When What
Right after the appointment Thank-you text. Confirm the month you'll reconnect.
Every 3 to 4 weeks One text with one useful thing: a nearby sale, a rate change, a photo tip. No pitch.
6 weeks before their date Call. "Still thinking [month]? Let's get the prep list going so you're not rushing."
2 weeks before Pricing conversation with fresh comps.

How to practice this

The timing objection is easy to answer badly because the bad answer ("spring isn't necessarily better") is right there and it doesn't work.

  1. Drill the diagnosing question. "More buyers, a higher price, or more time?" needs to be reflex.
  2. Practice the carrying-cost math out loud with real numbers. Pick a listing you know, work out six months of carrying costs, say it in a sentence. Do it until numbers don't slow you down.
  3. Practice saying "I'd wait too." Agents find this weirdly hard. Rehearse recommending against your own short-term interest until it sounds natural.
  4. Run the three branches back to back. Have a partner give you a different reason each time. The skill is switching scripts based on the answer, not delivering one script.

SalesGo's listing-appointment personas raise the timing objection with different reasons behind it, and the coach checks whether you asked why before you answered.

Quick reference

Diagnose: "What are you hoping is different in spring: more buyers, a higher price, or more time to get ready?"

More buyers: "More buyers, but more listings too. Right now a serious buyer near you has almost nothing to look at."

Higher price: "Six months of carrying costs is roughly [X]. The spring price would need to beat that just to break even."

More time: "Let's list what needs to happen, put dates on it, and pick a real listing date instead of a season."

Waiting is right: "In your situation I'd wait too. Let me come back in [month] with fresh comps, and I'll keep you posted until then."

Related: answering the commission objection, which often comes up in the same appointment.

← All articles